What do I do if I find a stray dog?
- First you must contact the local Shelter. The shelter is the first place a distraught owner will contact to find a lost pet. Make sure you don’t inadvertently break the law and keep or rehome a dog without notifying the local Shelter.
- Look for ID or rabies tags.
- Take the dog to the vet to scan for a micro-chip.
- Put out signs and use social media to get the word out. There are lots of neighborhood sites dedicated to lost/found pets.
- Returning an animal to its owner is always the priority.
Kids Helping Shelter Animals – a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organizaton